Together, with our partners in industry, government and the community, we focus on transforming research discoveries into successful innovations to benefit society, the economy and future generations.
Easy Access IP
UNSW is making it easier for businesses and organisations all over the world, to gain access to high-quality inventions and intellectual property being developed at universities. We call our approach Easy Access IP.
UNSW was the first University in Australia, and one of the first in the world, to offer the majority of our research discoveries and inventions for free. Easy Access IP, to put it simply, is about “giving innovation to the world” by providing technologies under licence for free. Giving inventions away at zero cost results in better research outcomes and in turn, can help businesses and entrepreneurs to create a better future.
The Easy Access IP approach:
- We offer valuable university inventions and intellectual property (IP) for FREE
- Our approach uses IP as a basis for collaboration, rather than a source of revenue
- Simplifies and removes barriers to University/ industry partnerships
- Royalty-free, exclusive licence to quality IP
- Increases researcher engagement and partnership-building with industry
- Enables the creation of new companies and jobs
- Easy Access IP improves the flow of research outputs into use in industry, the economy and society
- Easy Access IP makes it easier for business and industry to gain access to the high quality inventions and technologies being developed at participating Universities
As part of our commitment to help community, we’ve developed this new approach and are also helping other universities all over the world establish the same Easy Access IP approach.
Six universities in Australia and 25 research organisations globally, including Shanghai Jiao Tong, CERN and Kings College London, have adopted Easy Access IP.
Over 100 technologies and inventions in areas such as therapeutic drugs, biomedical devices and solar technology are currently being assessed by our team for collaboration opportunities. Many of these are at zero cost for licensing and have no royalties.
You can find out more about the current research discoveries available under licence at knowledgeexchange.unsw.edu.au.